Members > Next
Sala is a short story writer, journalist, editor, and media
activist. She began her career as a reporter specializing
in women's issues and, in 1979, became managing editor of
the magazine Mujer. In 1984, Sala published her book
of short stories, Desde el exilio. Her stories have
been translated into English, French, and German and published
in many anthologies of Latin American literature. In 1983,
Sala began to work full time for the Flora Tristan Centro
de la Mujer Peruana, one of the two main
women's liberation organizations in Peru, where she organized
a daily radio program, edited a magazine Viva, and
founded and ran the group's publishing house, where she initiated
the Magda Portal writing contest for young women. She was
at various points both Director and Chair of the Board of
Flora Tristan, and, in 1992, was given a Dashiell Hammett-Lillian
Hellman Award by Human Rights Watch for fighting Sendero Luminoso's
censorship by terror. In 1995, she became director of Tafos,
a non-profit photographic agency, and in 1999, became a correspondent
for Fempress, a Latin American press service based in Chile.
She also writes articles for the media in Norway and the Netherlands.
Sala is currently employed as Director of the Latin American
Press Agency. She is the founding Chair of RELAT,
the Latin American network of women writers.
- Desde el exilio. Lima: Ediciones Muñeca
Rota, 1984. 2nd revised edition, Lima: Ediciones Muñeca
Rota, 1988. (stories)
- Cuentistas Peruanos de hoy. Lima: Instituto Goethe,
- Cuentan las mujeres. Lima: Instituto Goethe, 1986.
- El camino. Lima: Instituto Nacional de Cultura,
- "El muro y la intemperie." El Nuevo Cuento Latinoamericano.
Edited by Julio Ortega. Hanover: Ediciones del Norte, 1989.
- Scents of Wood and Silence: Short Stories by Latin
American Women Writers. Edited by Kathleen Ross and
Yvette E. Miller. Pittsburgh: Latin American Literary Review
Press, l991. (story)
- Mujeres de palabra. San Juan: Universidad de Puerto
Rico, 1993. (stories)
- A flor de piel. Cuentos y ensayos sobre erotismo en
el Perú. Buenos Aires: Peisa, l993. (story)
- "Noche Limeña." Eine Blume Auf Dem Platz. Berlin:
Edition diá, 1994. (story)
- "Lo femenino en las novelas de las mujeres." Otras
Pieles. Resumen del seminario cultura, etnia y genero en
la Universidad Catolica. Edited by el Fondo Editorial
de la Universidad. Puerto Rico,1995. (essay)
- "El lenguado." 17 Narradoras Latino-americanas
(17 Latin American Women Writers). Bogotá: Coédicion
latinoamericana (CERALC/UNESCO), 1996. (story)
- VIVA! Editor, issues 1-15, 1984-89.
Based in Lima, Peru, Latinamerica Press has been publishing
independent news, analysis, and information materials since
International Director, RELAT
(Red de Escritoras Latinoamericanas)
Andradi, "RELAT: Red latinoamericana de escritores."